Cooling Tower Cleaning
Because chillers use five times the energy of cooling towers, they typically garner all of the attention when it comes to maintenance and cleaning. However, maintaining a clean cooling tower is equally important in terms of energy efficiency. Cooling towers can be used to remove heat from water as a condenser loop as well, not just for chillers.
Cooling Tower Cleaning and Maintenance
According to The United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA) Technical Manual,cooling tower cleaning and chlorination should be performed a minimum of twice a year. These towers require regular cleaning to remove dirt, pollen, dust, insects, and other debris that has built up over time. These contaminants not only affect energy efficiency, but can cause a wide array of additional problems, as well, including:
- Microorganism Growth, which can cause under-deposit corrosion and premature basin failure.
- Water Treatment Costscan begin to skyrocket.
- Scale Depositsand algae can begin to grow inside the system, posing health risks to maintenance personnel.
As you can see, regular cooling tower cleaning is important for several reasons. But that reason you care most about, the reason affecting your bottom line, is energy efficiency. You see, as calcium deposits grow, they begin to restrict and/or divert water and air flow, affecting the natural evaporation and efficiency of the cooling tower.
Proper cooling tower cleaning protocol:
2. Clean hot decks spray nozzles and orifices
3. The Tower basin should be cleaned and disinfected
4. The fan housing should be carefully scrubbed and disinfected
5. All distribution pans should be opened and cleaned
6. Pressure wash tower surfaces and basin
7. Vacuum the tower sump
8. Properly dispose of debris
Unfortunately, cooling tower cleaning is often neglected or performed improperly. Cooling tower cleaning is a labor intensive process that requires expertise, training, and specialized equipment. Regular cooling tower cleaning and maintenance is an essential to improve energy efficiency, reduce energy costs, and prolong cooling tower life.
Please contact SERVPRO to have a qualified professional provide you with a free Cooling Tower Cleaning estimate.