Recent Building Services Posts
ARE YOUR DUCTS IN ORDER?
Did you know, your ventilation system is often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality? Inspecting the ductwork in your facility or home should be a high priority. In most cases, the HVAC system has been operating for some time without much attention. Dirty ducts can circulate odors, contaminants such as mold, and irritating dust throughout your building or home.
A routine part of SERVPRO of Northern Sussex County's service is inspecting the heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Keeping the HVAC and ductwork clean can potentially extend the life span of the equipment by allowing it to operate at peak condition, which may help save you money. Duct cleaning may not always be necessary. SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals will inspect your HVAC system and ductwork and make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. This inspection can help save you money and provide peace of mind on the health of your HVAC system and ductwork.
In some circumstances, such as after fire, smoke or suspected mold growth, duct cleaning becomes an essential part of the cleanup process. In these cases, your SERVPRO® of Northern Sussex County Professional can often restore the HVAC system and ductwork to pre-damage condition.
If you have a fuel burning furnace, stove or fi replace, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends they be inspected for proper functioning, and be serviced before each heating season to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning.
The SERVPRO® Duct Cleaning System is proven and cost efficient. Unlike the majority of duct cleaning services, your SERVPRO® Franchise Professional uses a portable ventilation and air duct cleaning system to examine ductwork and make a clean sweep, removing years of dust and grime.
- The process begins by using patented equipment including a roto-scraper, which automatically adapts to the duct’s shape and diameter while traveling through the duct, removing debris and fi lth before vacuuming begins.
- Next, a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system transfers the debris from the ducting to a 16-gallon container.
- Air is filtered through a HEPA filtration system, removing 99.97 percent of the particles in the airstream. HEPA filters capture debris and keep the indoor environment clean.
- As an optional process, a sealant or coating product may be sprayed to address odor or microbial concerns.
- Filters will either be cleaned or replaced to remove odor and dirt.
For more information on duct cleaning, or to schedule an appointment, contact us at 973-383-2024.
LIKE us on Facebook!
Duct Cleaning - Commercial
Proper Maintenance Saves Money
Estimates made by the World Health Organization say that poor indoor air quality costs $60 billion in employee sick leave and lost production.
Part of your responsibility to the tenants, workers and students who work and play in your buildings includes proper maintenance and prompt response to any situation that could cause illness or health concerns.
Sick Building Syndrome
In the 1970s, sick building syndrome became apparent as groups of people displayed similar symptoms after having spent extended periods of time in buildings with poor air quality.
Good judgment and immediate attention can correct the situation and save you money in the event of litigation. People most at risk include:
- Infants and children.
- Pregnant women.
- People with compromised respiratory systems or asthma/allergies.
- People with weakened immune systems.
While molds are found naturally in the environment, an overabundance inside buildings is undesireable; some people can become ill. Experts disagree about the more controversial details of mold, but they all agree that if you have excessive mold, it needs to be removed.
Improve the Air Quality of Your Business
When addressing air quality, inspecting the ductwork is SERVPRO® of Northern Sussex County's first order of business. Dirty ducts can work to circulate odors and contaminants like mold and irritating dust throughout the building.
SERVPRO® of Northern Sussex County uses a proven Portable Ventilation & Air Duct Cleaning System to examine ductwork and make a clean sweep removing years of dust and grime.
“Cents” of Smell - Create an Impact
You only have one chance to make a first impression with your customers. Using safe and biodegradable products, SERVPRO® of Northern Sussex County can create a clean, fresh and long lasting impression.
Ways to Impress Your Customers
- Clean dirty and stained ceilings.
- Scrub lobby, furniture and draperies.
- Establish maintenance plans for furnishings, carpets and draperies.
- Clean HVAC & air duct systems.
The SERVPRO Difference
- Reduce potential for mold growth.
- Remediate bacteria, fungi and mold.
- Restore peak energy efficiency.
- Eliminate offensive odors.
- Free written inspections and estimates.
Cooling Tower Cleaning
Cooling Tower Cleaning
Because chillers use five times the energy of cooling towers, they typically garner all of the attention when it comes to maintenance and cleaning. However, maintaining a clean cooling tower is equally important in terms of energy efficiency. Cooling towers can be used to remove heat from water as a condenser loop as well, not just for chillers.
Cooling Tower Cleaning and Maintenance
According to The United States Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA) Technical Manual,cooling tower cleaning and chlorination should be performed a minimum of twice a year. These towers require regular cleaning to remove dirt, pollen, dust, insects, and other debris that has built up over time. These contaminants not only affect energy efficiency, but can cause a wide array of additional problems, as well, including:
- Microorganism Growth, which can cause under-deposit corrosion and premature basin failure.
- Water Treatment Costscan begin to skyrocket.
- Scale Depositsand algae can begin to grow inside the system, posing health risks to maintenance personnel.
As you can see, regular cooling tower cleaning is important for several reasons. But that reason you care most about, the reason affecting your bottom line, is energy efficiency. You see, as calcium deposits grow, they begin to restrict and/or divert water and air flow, affecting the natural evaporation and efficiency of the cooling tower.
Proper cooling tower cleaning protocol:
2. Clean hot decks spray nozzles and orifices
3. The Tower basin should be cleaned and disinfected
4. The fan housing should be carefully scrubbed and disinfected
5. All distribution pans should be opened and cleaned
6. Pressure wash tower surfaces and basin
7. Vacuum the tower sump
8. Properly dispose of debris
Unfortunately, cooling tower cleaning is often neglected or performed improperly. Cooling tower cleaning is a labor intensive process that requires expertise, training, and specialized equipment. Regular cooling tower cleaning and maintenance is an essential to improve energy efficiency, reduce energy costs, and prolong cooling tower life.
Please contact SERVPRO to have a qualified professional provide you with a free Cooling Tower Cleaning estimate.